Monday, October 22, 2012

Conversations With Mom

We never really realize what we take for granted until we see it taken away from someone else and see how hard it really would be. Watching them go through that and only being able to be minimal help is hard. Trying to put yourself in their shoes makes you wonder how they can be so strong to stay positive through everything being thrown at them.

Ever since the surgery, whenever I go to visit my mom I worry about the conversation. Not really the part where she asks the same questions multiple times because she doesn't remember or having to explain something again. It's more so the part where she gets emotional and asks about the surgery she had. She doesn't remember when, why or what happened. She just knows that it did happen. There are many times where she asks me to explain the whole thing for her and I understand why she wants to know. I would want to know, also. But having to re-tell the story every time I go to visit her gets really hard on me. It's an emotional thing. I've been thinking about making a ShutterFly book for her. We made one for the Chordoma Conference trip and Sandy made one for her after that. I'm not sure at the moment what that one was. I'm pretty sure it had to do with the surgery but it doesn't explain in it what happened. I'm thinking of writing it up and putting it together with some pictures of family so she can re-read it whenever she wants to know what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment